London attack victims: 12 arrested as French and Canadian nationals are confirmed among seven dead


A French man and a Canadian citizen have been confirmed as two of the seven people killed in the London Bridge terror attack.

Twelve people were arrested as armed police carried out raids in East Ham and Barking on Sunday afternoon after the atrocity on Saturday night.

Seven people were murdered and 21 others remain critically injured after three suspects mowed down pedestrians with a van on London Bridge before stabbing victims during a terrifying spree in Borough Market.

Prime Minister Theresa May pledged a new era of clamping down on terrorism after the attack as she declared “enough is enough” and condemned the “evil” of the perpetrators. 

bridge0306ca-0.jpg

Debris and abandoned cars remain on London Bridge (Chris J Ratcliffe/AFP/Getty Images)

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed a Canadian citizen was among those killed, adding: “We grieve with the families and friends of those who have lost loved ones, and wish all those injured a speedy and full recovery.

“Londoners and people across the United Kingdom have always displayed strength and resilience in the face of adversity. We recently witnessed this after the attacks in Manchester and in the Westminster area of London. This time will be no different.”

The French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian also confirmed a French man was among those killed.

bridge0306aa.jpg

(Daniel Sorabji/AFP/Getty Images)

On Sunday, the latest statement from the Met Police provided more details as to how the events unfolded as force confirmed 36 people are in hospital receiving treatment.

The three suspects, who police are confident were the only terrorists at the scene, wore hoax suicide bomb vests during the rampage, which began just before 10pm.

Within eight minutes the armed attackers had been shot dead by police. The officers fired 50 bullets in what the Met called an “unprecedented number of rounds” for the UK.

Taxi driver captures footage of people fleeing across London Bridge following terror attack

Among the many injured on Saturday was a member of the public who was shot during the armed police officers’ gunfire. The person’s injuries are not believed to be critical. 

Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said: “”The situation these officers were confronted with was critical, a matter of life and death – three armed men wearing what appeared to be suicide belts.

“They had already attacked and killed members of the public and had to be stopped immediately.”

boroughterrorattack0406w.jpg

Forensic officers at London Bridge on Sunday. (PA)

Harrowing eyewitness accounts emerged overnight and throughout Sunday describing how people fled for their lives or barricaded themselves in bars and restaurants.

Eyewitnesses reported seeing a white transit van – which police said had been rented – speeding along London Bridge.

Several people caught up in the attack reported seeing victims “drenched in blood” and people walking away from London Bridge in a dazed and “zombified” state.

Timeline of the terror attacks on London Bridge

An Australian woman told how she survived having her throat cut while out for dinner with her boyfriend.

Two police officers were also wounded in the attack, including an off-duty Met officer and a British Transport Police officer who was stabbed in the face as he tried to fight off an attacker with his baton.

Also among the victims are two Australian citizens who have been “directly impacted”, according to the country’s Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull.

London Bridge and Borough Market terrorist attack

As well as the French man killed, seven other French nationals were wounded including four with serious injuries.

UK intelligence agencies, the Met’s counter-terror squad and the National Counter Terrorism Policing network are continuing to work “relentlessly” to piece together events, the Met said.

The force said they are making significant progress in identifying the attackers and understanding more about their connections and network.

The investigation led to a busy police swoop in Barking Road, East Ham. One witness described seeing armed officers raid a fried chicken shop.

easthamraid0406c.jpg

(Getty Images)

Earlier on Sunday, 12 people were arrested during a raid on flats in King’s Road, Barking, where it is thought one of the attackers lived.

Police stormed the building at around 7am on Sunday. Neighbour Damien Pettit was shown a photo of one of attackers by police and said the image “looked a lot like their neighbour” who had lived in the block for three years. 

Saturday’s atrocity was the third terror attack in the UK in just three months. On March 22 five people died after terrorist Khalid Masood’s car and knife attack in Westminster. Two months later 22 people were killed at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester.

londonbridgetributesjpg.jpg

Solidarity: Londoners left floral tributes and messages of defiance on Borough High Street (AP)

With just days to go until the General Election – which will still go ahead – politicians suspended official campaigning for most of Sunday. PM Theresa May attended an emergency Cobra meeting before speaking outside Downing Street to set out a four-pronged strategy to tackle terror.

But Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn later launched a scathing attack onto the PM, suggesting the Government police cuts were made despite warnings it would undermine safety.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan joined the PM at the Government’s emergency committee meeting. In a statement he condemned the “deliberate and cowardly” attack and added: “We will never let these cowards win.”

He said: “I condemn it in the strongest possible terms. There is no justification whatsoever for such barbaric acts.”

A vigil in honour of the attack victims is to be held on Monday evening. People will gather at Potters Fields Park outside City Hall, less than a mile from the scene of the attack, at 6pm.

Many praised the capital’s kind-hearted response following the attack with scores of kind-hearted Londoners offering shelter or free rides to those caught up in the attack. 

Reuse content



Source : http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-attack-victims-12-arrested-as-french-and-canadian-nationals-are-confirmed-among-seven-dead-a3556706.html

Website by DEDALUSWEB