Two London Bridge and Borough Market terror attackers named by The Met’s Counter Terrorism Command (From Your Local Guardian)


Two of the men shot dead by police following the terrorist attack at London Bridge and Borough Market have been identified.

Formal identification has yet to take place, but detectives believe they know the attackers’ identities- Khuram Shazad Butt and Rachid Redouane, both from Barking, east London.

All three men directly involved in the attack on the evening of June 3 were shot dead by armed officers within eight minutes of the first call.

Khuram Shazad Butt, 27, was a British citizen who was born in Pakistan.

Rachid Redouane, 30, had claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan. He also used the name Rachid Elkhdar, with a different date of birth which put him at 25.

Detectives are working on identifying the third attacker.

The Met Police would like to hear from anyone who has any information about these men that may assist them with the investigation.

They are particularly keen to hear about places they may have frequented and their movements in the days and hours before the attack.

Seven people were killed and another 48 injured in the attacks on Saturday night.

A white van was driven into pedestrians on London Bridge just before 10.10pm.

The suspects got out of the vehicle at Borough Market and stabbed a number of people, including an on-duty British Transport Police officer.

Work to inform the next of kin of the victims is ongoing, which is taking time because police believe some of the victims are from abroad.

Of the 48 people taken to hospital, 36 are currently being cared for in London hospitals with 18 remaining in a critical condition.

So far officers have arrested 12 people – seven women and five men – and searched six properties.

One of the arrested men and one of the women were subsequently released.

Khuram Shazad Butt was known to the police and MI5.

However, The Met Police said in a statement there was “no intelligence to suggest that this attack was being planned”. The other named man, Rachid Redouane, was not known.

Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said: “I would urge anyone with information about these men, their movements in the days and hours before the attack and the places they frequented to come forward.

“The police and our partners are doing everything we can across the country to help prevent further attacks and protect the public from harm.

“At any one time MI5 and police are conducting around 500 active investigations, involving 3,000 subjects of interest. Additionally, there are around 20,000 individuals who are former subjects of interest, whose risk remains subject to review by MI5 and its partners.

“The security and intelligence services and police have stopped 18 plots since 2013, including five since the Westminster attack two months ago.”

He added: “We would urge the public to be vigilant and to report any suspicious activity to the police by calling us in confidence on 0800 789321 or in an emergency calling 999.”



Source : http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/topstories/15330142.Two_London_attackers_named_by_police/?ref=rss

Website by DEDALUSWEB