High-rises of 60s and 70s could be torn down in wake of Grenfell Tower tragedy, Sadiq Khan says


High-rise tower blocks dating from the 1960s and 1970s could be torn down following the horrific Grenfell Tower fire, Sadiq Khan has said.

The London mayor made the claim after it was announced on Saturday that 58 people are now presumed dead in the tragedy.

He said the disaster’s “greatest legacy… may well end up being the skyline of our towns and cities”.

He wrote in the Observer: “Nowadays, we would not dream of building towers to the standards of the 1970s, but their inhabitants still have to live with that legacy.

sadiqkhangrenfell2-.jpg

London Mayor Sadiq Khan speaks to a woman during a visit to the base of Grenfell Tower. (PA)

“It may well be the defining outcome of this tragedy that the worst mistakes of the 1960s and 1970s are systematically torn down.”

Mr Khan wrote added that the images of the 24-storey building being ravaged by fire “should be forever seared into our nation’s collective memory”.

He said: “Little can compare in recent times to a tragedy on this scale – the response from the local authority has simply not been good enough. Residents feel abandoned by those with the power – the council and government.

“This is a national tragedy with national consequences. What emerges in the coming weeks and months will be very difficult for many people, including politicians and organisations, but we must get to the truth.

“Those who mock health and safety, regulations and red tape need to take a hard look at the consequences of cutting these and ask themselves whether Grenfell Tower is a price worth paying.”

Mr Khan said an inquiry should be properly resourced so it can get the full truth about the fire as quickly as possible.

He previously demanded answers from Prime Minister Theresa May, who has been criticised for her handling of the tragedy, urging her to ensure the community is given as much information as possible about the number of victims and their identities in the coming days.

Reuse content



Source : http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/highrises-of-60s-and-70s-could-be-torn-down-in-wake-of-grenfell-tower-tragedy-sadiq-khan-says-a3567481.html

Website by DEDALUSWEB