London fire: Grenfell Tower death toll rises to 79 as search for victims continues


At least 79 people are now presumed dead following the devastating fire at Grenfell Tower, police said as the search to recover victims continues.

In the latest update on Monday morning, Met Commander Stuart Cundy said officers have now established that the figure of those presumed dead or missing has risen.

All 24 floors of the high rise have now been searched after the recovery operation was paused on Friday over fears for emergency workers’ safety in the building.

Mr Cundy said five people had been formally identified,  and the rest were “sadly” missing presumed dead.

cundy.png

Grenfell Tower: Police say 79 people dead (BBC)

He told reporters the “awful reality” was that it might not be possible to identify all the victims.

Some families have lost more than one member, he added.

The announcement came ahead of a minute’s silence to be held at 11am across all Government buildings to remember the people who lost their lives and all those affected by the fire in north Kensington last week.

Speaking outside Scotland Yard, Mr Cundy said: “As of this morning, I am afraid to say that there are now 79 people that we believe are either dead or missing, and I sadly have to presume are dead.”

This page is being updated.

 

Reuse content



Source : http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/london-fire-grenfell-tower-death-toll-rises-to-79-as-search-for-victims-continues-a3567951.html

Website by DEDALUSWEB