Evening Standard’s fund for Grenfell Tower victims hits £3.6m


Donations to the Evening Standard’s appeal for the Grenfell Tower victims today approached £3.6 million.

The huge generosity of readers has seen about 33,500 people donate almost £2.3 million online, with a further £1.3 million from corporate donors.

The first payments of £1,000 per flat were being made yesterday. The cash can be collected from two trusted community centres, The Rugby Portobello Trust and the Al-Manaar mosque, where payments will be distributed by the National Zakat Foundation. 

This is separate to payments of £5,500 per household from a £5 million relief fund set up by the Government last week.

CLICK HERE TO DONATE TO THE FUND

The money from the Dispossessed Fund, which is administered by the London Community Foundation for the Standard, has also resulted in payments of £5,000 to 20 local voluntary organisations and church groups involved in the frontline relief effort in North Kensington.

Significant donations to the Dispossessed Fund include £250,000 each from NEX Group (formerly ICAP) and Sky, £105,000 from Pret a Manger and £100,000 from The Sun, HSBC, Hiscox UK and LYCA Mobile.

Other corporate donors include Westfield UK, Battersea Power Station Corporation, Burberry and law firms Allen & Overy and Linklaters.

Vodafone is to match up to £100,000 of donations made via JustTextGiving and fundraising by staff is being matched at Adobe and Microsoft.

Fitness company Yoga Haven, which has branches in Clapham, Angel and Richmond, is to ask users to make a donation in aid of the Grenfell Tower victims rather than paying for classes on Sunday July 2.

Today lawyers expressed concern that Grenfell residents who had refused an offer from Kensington and Chelsea to be rehoused outside the borough may now be considered “intentionally homeless”.

 

You can give £5 or £10 by texting GREN88 + amount to 70070 (eg GREN88 £5)

To donate online visit www.dispossessedfund.org.uk

​Jayesh Kunwardia, partner at London law firm Hodge Jones & Allen, said the council needed to provide clarity to residents searching for a new home.

He said: “I’ve already spoken to a number of former Grenfell Tower residents who have refused the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea’s offer of temporary accommodation outside of the borough and have opted to stay with family or friends instead. 

“However, by doing so, this means that under the council’s current policy, RBKC could now refuse to accept a duty to house them under the Housing Act as they have made themselves ‘intentionally homeless’.

“I’m worried that former Grenfell Tower residents, who have very good reasons for refusing an offer of accommodation, because of potential difficulties with work, schooling, medical appointments or their social network, may be penalised as a result.

“It seems to me that there is a lack of transparency by RBKC on the legal rights available to the victims of this tragic disaster.”

Reuse content



Source : http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/evening-standards-fund-for-grenfell-tower-victims-hits-36m-a3568736.html

Website by DEDALUSWEB