Grenfell fire survivors to be rehoused in luxury block


Survivors of the Grenfell Tower fire are to be rehomed in a luxury block where house prices start at £1.5 million.

Some 68 one, two and three bedroom flats at the Kensington Row development in west London have been acquired by the Government.

The properties are “newly built social housing” at a site where private homes boast a 24-hour concierge and a private cinema, according to the website of developer St Edward.

The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) said the “expectation is that these new properties will be offered as one of the options to permanently rehouse residents from Grenfell Tower”.

Extra public money has been found to fit out the flats more quickly, and the developer has taken on more staff and relaxed working hours rules, DCLG said, with the aim of having the homes ready by the end of July.

It comes after much anger from survivors and victims’ families at the official response to the deadly blaze.

An independent public advocate to help bereaved families after major disasters was announced in the Queen’s Speech earlier on Wednesday.

St Edward is a joint venture between Prudential and the Berkeley Group around 1.5 miles from Grenfell Tower.

Tony Pidgley, the Berkeley Group chairman, said: “We’ve got to start by finding each of them a home.

“Somewhere safe and supportive, close to their friends and the places they know, so they can start to rebuild their lives.

“We will work night and day to get these homes ready.”



Source : http://www.itv.com/news/2017-06-21/grenfell-fire-survivors-to-be-rehoused-in-luxury-block/

Website by DEDALUSWEB