Grenfell Tower fire started in a faulty fridge, say police | London


The Grenfell Tower fire started in a faulty fridge and the cladding and insulation on the block has failed safety tests, police said.

Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack said the Hotpoint FF175BP model had not been subject to any product recall.

Witnesses at the scene of the 24-storey fire in north Kensington on June 14 described hearing one resident claiming it was his appliance which was responsible.

The number of people to have died, including those classed as missing presumed dead, remains at 79, she said.

Fiano McCormack said the tests carried out as part of the investigation were “small scale”, but added:

All I can say at the moment is they (tiles and insulation) don’t pass any safety tests.

What we are being told at the moment by the Building Research Establishment is that the cladding and insulation failed all safety tests.
Our investigation is to establish how the fire started.

– Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack, Met Police

Manslaughter charges are among a string of offences being considered by police as part of the investigation, Ms McCormack said. Documents and materials had been seized from a “number of organisations”, she added.

We are look at every criminal offence from manslaughter onwards, we are looking at every health and safety and fire safety offences and we are reviewing every company at the moment involved in the building and refurbishment of Grenfell Tower.

– Detective Superintendent Fiona McCormack, Met Police



Source : http://www.itv.com/news/london/2017-06-23/grenfell-tower-fire-started-in-a-faulty-fridge-say-police/

Website by DEDALUSWEB