Justice For Edson march: Stratford station evacuated as riot police descend on march for man who died after being arrested

Stratford bus station was evacuated as riot police descended on a protest demanding justice for a young father who died after being detained by police.

Edir Frederico Da Costa, known as Edson, died in hospital six days after he was detained in Newham on June 15.

Protesters marched on Forest Gate police station on Sunday chanting “justice for Edson” after the 25-year-old’s family allege he was “brutally beaten” when officers stopped him in a car.

As the protest continued throughout the afternoon, crowds gathered around Stratford station – shouting “police killed Edson”.

#stratford #justiceforedson #anonymous perspective part 4.5 pic.twitter.com/zW2VQsXJyB

— Anon Media UK (@AnonMedia_UK) June 25, 2017

Pictures and footage from the scene showed lines of riot police stationed around the area as the a large crowd of angry protesters gathered.

Playing hide and seek with the helicopter #stratford #London #helicopter #spotit @NPASLondon @metpoliceuk pic.twitter.com/YF7fn9hrbY

— Claudia (@twiggypopclaudy) June 25, 2017

Newham MPS tweeted that the bus station and surrounding roads had been closed as police attempted to contain the demonstration.

Transport for London said that from just before 6pm there had been “a number of bus diversions at police request” due to the demonstration at Stratford. 

One protester rode his motorbike up to the police line and deliberately revved his engine in front of the officers.


Police: Officers with helmets were sent to the scene (@London999)

Another motorcyclist turned his bike towards the officers and span his wheels so that smoke blew towards them.

The police watchdog launched an investigation after Mr Da Costa died in hospital.

Tense stand off between police and #justiceforEdson protestors at Stratford pic.twitter.com/UkHqZUZfhX

— Aamna Mohdin (@aamnamohdin) June 25, 2017

Peaceful protest in #stratford for Edson, 25 who died last week. pic.twitter.com/5EYywHeD9j

— London Lad (@sho_sho_10) June 25, 2017

A post-mortem was conducted on Thursday, and the pathologist concluded there were no injuries to suggest severe force was used.

The IPCC said the examination indicated there were no spinal injuries caused by police.


March: Demonstrators held signs reading ‘Black Lives Matter’

A spokesman for the police watchdog, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), said it was believed officers used force and CS spray.

He added: “Mr Da Costa became unwell, first aid was administered, an ambulance was called and he was taken to hospital. Tragically on Wednesday June 21, Mr Da Costa died.”


Newham: Edson died in hospital after being detained by officers (GoFundMe)

According to the family’s lawyer, Sarah Kellas, Mr Da Costa’s relatives are “very concerned about the circumstances in which he died”.

Newham Borough Commander Chief Superintendent Ian Larnder said: “All police officers are fully aware that they will be asked to account for their actions, officers are not exempt from the law and we would not wish to be.

“I know that Edir’s family, friends and the wider community want answers, but it is important that the investigation is allowed to take place to establish the full facts of what happened before any conclusions are made.”

Reuse content

Source : http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/justice-for-edson-march-stratford-station-evacuated-as-riot-police-descend-on-march-for-man-who-died-a3572756.html