Packed carriage of Tube commuters sing Happy Birthday to fellow passenger while stuck on train

A packed carriage of commuters burst into a rendition of Happy Birthday while stuck on a Tube train for more than an hour during rush hour delays.

Crowds of passengers were stuck underground on the Circle line train for an hour and 20 minutes on Monday morning after a major signalling failure at Earl’s Court.

Furious passengers on the District, Piccadilly and Circle lines complained of being late for work and described onboard “chaos” with babies crying and people becoming angry.

But on one westbound Circle line train, which had ground to a halt between High Street Kensington and Gloucester Road, the mood was a lot brighter.

At one point a crowded carriage burst into song to celebrate a fellow commuter’s birthday.


Cheers: Dozens of people burst into cheers and sang happy birthday. (Troy Schneider)

The last line of the song and passengers’ cheers were captured on camera by one commuter, Troy Schneider, who told the Standard: “I have no idea how it started, I think three or four guys [singing] for a woman.

“About 30 to 40 people joined in. Then somebody yelled, ‘anyone else have a birthday today?’ 

“A younger women put her hand up and they asked her name and we sang again. 

“I bet a few more minutes on that train would have resulted in some more songs. It was a much needed break after an hour stuck on a really packed train.”

You know you’ve been trapped on the tube a long time when happy birthday breaks out at 10am… #TFL #delays #london

— Alex Merry (@MrAlexMerry) June 26, 2017

He said despite the long delay, sparked by the signalling problem at 9.30am, the mood was “pretty good”.

“I was a little concerned for some elderly riders all sitting on the floor. But all seemed fine.”

The entire Piccadilly and District lines were suspended while engineers worked to fix the signal failure. After around an hour the lines reopened, but severe delays were continued into the afternoon.

The Circle line was also part suspended and suffered delays.

Transport for London promised that everyone affected would be automatically refunded.

Steve White, operations director for London Underground, said: “We are very sorry for the disruption caused to customers this morning which was due to a power network failure in the Earl’s Court area at around 9.30am.  

“Our engineers worked hard to get services running normally as quickly as possible by using our backup power supply.  We will be automatically refunding any customers affected by the disruption by the end of the week.”

Reuse content

Source :