Edir Frederico Da Costa, whose death sparked clashes in Forest Gate, ‘had packages in throat’ when he died

A man whose death sparked clashes over allegations of police brutality had “a number of packages in his throat” when he died, an early pathology report has found.

Edir Frederico Da Costa, known as Edson, died on June 21, six days after he was detained by police during a traffic stop.

Campaigners claim Mr Da Costa’s neck was broken and that he was “brutally beaten” after the car, containing three people, was halted in Newham in east London.

Some 14 officers were injured after violence erupted during a protest held in Forest Gate on Sunday, as justice was demanded for a young father.

Rumours on social media prompted police watchdog the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) to take the highly unusual step of releasing details of the preliminary post-mortem examination, mid-way through the investigation, which indicated there were no spinal injuries caused by police.

In a statement, associate commissioner of the IPCC Tom Milsom said the cause of death had not yet been identified nor the contents of the packages confirmed.

He added that further tests are to be carried out on the body and he urged any witnesses with mobile phone footage from the incident to come forward.

He said: “Following house-to-house inquiries we have identified a number of independent witnesses and have begun interviewing them.

Bricks and other objects are thrown at police during violent protests in Forest Gate

“We have also recovered some body-worn video which covers the medical attention Mr Da Costa received.

“We are seeking any additional footage that may have been taken at the incident.

“Officers who were involved with the incident have given their accounts.

“Following a preliminary post-mortem examination on June 22, the pathologist stated that there was no fracture of the neck or spinal injury, no broken collarbone and no bleeding on the brain.


Edson: The police watchdog launched a probe as the young father died days after being detained (GoFundMe)

“The pathologist removed a number of packages from Mr Da Costa’s throat.

“The contents of those packages will undergo further analysis.

“I must stress that the pathologist has not yet identified Mr Da Costa’s cause of death and has requested further tests be conducted.

“We are examining the actions taken by police during the original detention of Mr Da Costa, including the use of force, as well as the subsequent response in administering medical assistance.

“I would like to reassure all those who have concerns about the death of Mr Da Costa that we are approaching our investigation with an open mind and working with everyone concerned to provide answers to questions that remain surrounding this incident.”

Family campaigners insisted Sunday’s protest had been set up as a peaceful march and they did not condone the violence.

Witnesses to the incident are asked to contact the IPCC at woodcocksroad@ipcc.gsi.gov.uk or call 0800 096 9073.

Reuse content

Source : http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/edir-frederico-da-costa-whose-death-sparked-clashes-in-forest-gate-had-packages-in-throat-when-he-a3574536.html