WWII bomb in River Thames: New footage shows Royal Navy bomb disposal experts working to clear unexploded bomb

New footage shows Royal Navy divers working to clear an unexploded World War Two bomb that sparked chaos at London City Airport.

Bomb disposal experts worked through the night to move the 500kg shell into the Thames estuary ahead of a controlled detonation in Southend on Tuesday morning.

The discovery of the bomb in the King George V Dock by workmen on Sunday led to the closure of the nearby airport for the entire day on Monday.

A 214-metre exclusion zone was put in place in Newham, meaning residents were evacuated from their homes and the airport was forced to ground all flights.

The bomb was moved into the Thames estuary ahead of a controlled explosion on Tuesday morning (PA)

Flights resumed early on Tuesday, with a British Airways flight from Rotterdam landing at 6.42am and a BA flight to Geneva departing at 6.56am. 

There were slight delays as the airport’s schedule of up to 300 flights got back on track, with the airport busier than usual as a number of passengers unable to travel yesterday flew today.

Royal Navy bomb disposal divers in King V George Dock close to London City Airport (PA)

The bomb, which was lodged in silt about 11 metres underwater, was removed to the centre of the dock at about 6pm last night. 

It then continued its journey away from the airport before midnight as tides rose. 

The discovery of the bomb grounded all flights at London City Airport (EPA)

It was escorted by the Port of London Authority, with boats at the front and back to ensure no danger to other river traffic. Road bridges were closed as the convoy passed by.  

Lieutenant Commander Jonny Campbell, the officer in charge of the Navy’s Southern Diving Unit 2, said high-grade military explosives would be attached to the device for a controlled explosion.

A 214-metre exclusion zone was in place on Monday meaning residents had to evacuate their homes (PA)

Residents told how they were forced to spend more than 18 hours away from their homes after police established a 214m (700ft) exclusion zone, covering seven streets, as a safety precaution. Others refused to leave.

Transport for London worker Ashiqul Islam, 23, helped to evacuate vulnerable neighbours by driving them to alternative accommodation before spending the night at his grandmother’s house in Beckton.

Read more

One neighbour told Mr Islam the police had offered her the choice to stay. He said: “She was leaning out of her window. I asked her if she was leaving and she said, ‘No, they said it’s my choice. If I die — I die in here’.”

Another resident, Debbie Barton, 59, decided to stay put. She said: “It’s been there all that time, it’s not going to hurt us. What’s going to be is going to be. It’s the East End, there have been things in that river for years.”

Source : https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/new-footage-shows-royal-navy-bomb-disposal-experts-working-to-clear-unexploded-wwii-bomb-in-river-a3765496.html