First picture of Streatham stabbing victim who came to London for a ‘great future’

This is the first picture of an Italian teenager stabbed to death in south London weeks after moving to the capital to build himself a “great future”.

Sabri Chibani, 19, was attacked inside a house near Streatham Common on Sunday before staggering outside and collapsing in the driveway.

Witnesses described how a young man, thought to be his brother, battled to save Mr Chibani before he was pronounced dead at the scene at 3.50pm on Sunday, 40 minutes after the attack at the house in Hopton Road.

The teenager’s father Munir, who was expected to fly to London, today told how he first thought his son had died in a road accident.

A murder probe has been launched after a 19-year-old man was stabbed to death in Streatham (Nigel Howard)

“I am destroyed,” he told Italian news site Blitz Quotidiano. “Sabri was a boy who everyone loved.”

Mr Chibani’s friends also paid tribute to the “easygoing and friendly” teenager, describing how he “never had any problems with anybody”.

Nadir Ayoub, 21, who used to catch the school bus with Mr Chibani, told the Standard: “We want to know what happened. We are tormented by this news. We are trying to understand it. 

“The family is totally destroyed, they cannot understand it. Sabri was not the type to ever go looking for trouble. I have known him for 10 years, he never insulted or made fun of anyone.”

Mr Chibani, a former youth team football player whose family migrated to Italy from Tunisia, grew up in Piacenza, a city 70km south-west of Milan in northern Italy. 

Mr Ayoub, who lived in the same block as Mr Chibani, added: “When he went to London he said, ‘Don’t worry, we will see each other again soon’. He saw a great future for himself there.”

Another childhood friend said: “I am really angry. At first they said it was an accident, then I read the newspapers and was shocked to see how he died. 

“His father is heartbroken — his mother is even worse. I have been there to comfort the family but they have returned to Tunisia now.”

Mr Chibani graduated from the Marconi Industrial Technical Institute last year with a diploma in electronics. 

He followed his brother to London in November in search of a job and was said to be working as a bar tender at the time of his death.

Mr Chibani’s former football team Spes Borgotrebbia have announced a minute’s silence in his honour before their next fixture.

Ronny Padilla, 23, of Hopton Road, appeared at Camberwell Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday charged with murder.

A 17-year-old boy has been stabbed to death last night in what police believe might have been a targeted attack in east London.

The unnamed teenager died on Goldwing Close, Canning Town. He had suffered what police said was a “sustained” attack.

Source :